Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Eggs Benedict

After our crazy Macanese adventure, Jenn and I woke up crazy hungry for western style meals, so by chance we decided to walk across the street from our hotel to a restaurant called Wagyu to get some breakfast/lunch.  Since we hadn’t really explored the winding and hilly streets around our hotel just yet, we thought it would be best to stay near our hotel and Wagyu looked like it was a pretty popular place to be for lunch.  We were getting a late start on sightseeing today, but since we were a bit worn out from our Macau adventure, we thought it might just be best to scratch our morning trip to Repulse Bay beach and grab some food and wait for Mary to arrive before heading to Kowloon for the afternoon.  The restaurant was pretty busy and looked like it had a lot of great lunch items on the menu, but  I was eyeing a guy at the bar who was eating some delicious looking egg dish that I couldn’t seem to find on the menu.  Dying for an egg breakfast, I decided to take matters into my own hands, so I went up to the bar, tapped him on the shoulder and asked him what he was eating.  I was already used to asking people stupid questions on this trip, and at this point I didn’t care because I wanted some stinking eggs.  Turns out that I tapped on the shoulder of one of the Wagyu night managers (Alex), who was off for the day. After simply striking up a conversation about his Eggs Benedict and being our charming American tourist selves, we somehow got the hook up at Wagyu with complementary drinks,  amazing food, and great local companions who were willing to show us the best of Hong Kong nightlife (and the worst)…
My Likeable Alter Ego, “Vacation Rachel” Emerges
Three glasses of wine and 2 new Hong Kong friends later, Jenn, Mary and I were refreshed and ready to start our day of sightseeing.   As we flew through the crowded and narrow Hong Kong streets Jenn and Mary noted that those *several*  glasses of bai pútáo jiǔ that Alex had sent to our table had really given me a lot of energy…and I could tell that in Hong Kong, my relaxed vacation had finally begun.

Free wine and food at Wagyu,courtesy of Alex, and new friends...

The theme of China- construction everywhere!

The famous Star Ferry Port

Riding the Star Ferry to Kowloon on the Mainland

Jenn and Mary enjoy their ride on the Star Ferry
Me...taking pictures again...


We have arrived!

                                      
Kowloon shopping- I’ve never seen so many designer stores in such
a small area…and each designer has multiple stores…


No comments:

Post a Comment