Thursday, May 26, 2011

We Arrive Safely

Sorry to keep everyone waiting- I’ve been having issues with my VPN hopping the great fire wall of China!  So here’s the backlog of my posts from the past 24 hours.
After our 13 hour and 20 minute flight, a slightly intimidating delay at Chinese immigration where they had to made a phone call about my passport, and playing charades with our Chinese cab driver, Jen and I arrived at her friend’s apartment in Beijing near Chongyang  Park at about 2:30 am.



A few pics of the Beijing airport- it was impressive.

My first sighting of a hole in the floor toilet…I was forewarned, but it was still a bit of culture shock.  Since I was still a bit tired from my long flight and my legs weren’t quite up for a long squat,  I thought it would be best to not totally immerse myself in the culture just now and opted for a western style toilet. Also, the architect in me shakes my head at how it is not ADA accessible.


The neighborhood is very residential and not unlike a neighborhood in the states, the weird thing though is that while we were waiting for her to pick us up at the corner we were approached by some Chinese cab drivers.  Granted, we were standing on the corner, and I’m not sure what sort of message that sends in Asian cultures, but they spoke no English and were quite content to stand a few feet away from us to stare and speak to each other in Chinese.   After that awkward episode we headed up to get acclimated in Mary’s apartment.   Her pre-furnished apartment which looks like it was decorated by someone with multiple personalities.  Otherwise her apartment is very spacious and comfortable.

Sparkly -red bathroom vanity

Pink flowers and hot pink sofa 

A combination shower/laundry/toilet room- complete with cheesy tile

No comments:

Post a Comment